Thursday 23 July 2009

Purple Poppy WIP 1


Approx 11" x 9" Coloured Pencil on Aubergine Colorfix sanded paper.
I'm using Prismacolor pencils on this one, plus a few Derwent Coloursofts, because there are some lovely dark reds in these brands. I snapped this beautiful poppy last month in a friend's garden - I hope I can do it justice!
Thus far, this is about four hours work and I am really liking this paper. The pencils are going on like pastel and working on this coloured ground really speeds up the process. I spent some time 'sculpting' those stamens, until my eyes were crossed actually!, and then just blocked in the basic colours for the petals using Tuscan Red, Magenta, Process Red and Hot Pink (Prismas). I envisage the background, at the moment, as loosely rendered, muted greens but that could change. I'll start work on that as soon as I've finished laying down the basic colours for the whole flower.

3 comments:

Paula Pertile said...

I'm loving this so far Janet ~ great reds. And the daisy from the last one is lovely too. I have yet to try Colorfix ~ that's next, thanks for reminding me!

Janet Pantry said...

Thanks Paula, much appreciated. I'm thinking it's more red than purple right now - maybe I should change the title!

Pauline said...

This is looking lovely Janet, in fact I like it as it is now, so subtle I could almost call it finished.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails