Thursday 4 February 2010

Single Poppy WIP 1


8" x 10" on Burgundy Colourfix sanded paper, Derwent Coloursoft and Prismacolor Pencils.

Fancied doing a flower again, haven't done one for a while.  I found this photo among a batch I took last summer - I drew another version called 'Purple Poppy' in July 2009, here's the blog link.  This current one is on the same paper as the previous drawing although I thought the colour was Aubergine at the time, wrong - it's called Burgundy!  I've just had a new consignment of Colourfix paper, I really like it better than any other sanded/tinted papers I've tried.

For the record, I'm using Loganberry, Cranberry, Deep Fuscia, Pink Lavender, Rose (Coloursoft) and Dahlia Purple, Tuscan Red, Magenta, Hot Pink, Jade (Prismacolor) so far.  For the stem I've used Hooker's Green (Derwent Inktense), Dark Green and Celadon Green (Prismacolor).  For the brightest highlights I always use a Chinese White Derwent Drawing pencil.  I have yet to deploy one of the best colours in the Prismacolor range - Black Grape (what a star!) for the darkest areas on the flower.

I'm quite pleased with it so far.  I'll carry on to finish covering the flower with the first layer of colours and then consider what the heck I'm going to do with the background - always a challenge!    




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking great Janet..Thank you so much for all the info on the colors. Your use of several brands of pencils. I mix a lot of pencil brands, especially to get that perfect color.

Love the poppy and look forward to seeing it finished.

Carolina said...

Hi Janet,
I think it's looking great so far too... :) It's exciting to see what you'll decide about the background (I'm comfy here, having pop corn and watching ;o)
Thanks to your link I had the chance to review your previous work on flowers. You really do an amazing work, you make painting them look so easy! I guess one day I'll use one of your wips post series and try to emulate them for the sake of learning, if you don't mind, of course. I don't know when I might find the time to do that, but it's a must for me! One day *sigh*

Best regards,
Carolina

Alison Staite said...

Hi Janet
This is off to a great start. The petals have that lovely silky sheen already.

alison

Janet Pantry said...

Thanks everyone. Carolina, of course you can use the wips I've done, I'm really pleased to know you'd find them useful! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails