Saturday 17 April 2010

Computer Problems Grrr! And a bit of politics.

Just thought I'd better check in as I haven't posted for a while.  I've been having a few problems with my PC lately and then yesterday, it decided to crash out completely - I have no idea why, except that it seems to be a power problem, some kind of electrical fault I think.  I am using a borrowed laptop at the moment without any of my usual software or data files.  It's painfully slow but better than nothing I suppose!  It could be a week or so before I get my PC back and I'm hoping it is reparable as it's only two years old - but then, I'm told, that's positively ancient in computer terms!  I have a new drawing coming but cannot upload it yet - far too challenging to do that on the laptop!

And now, just thought I'd mention, for those of you who don't already know, that we have a General Election looming in the UK.  Everyone here is positively glued to the TV and radio to hear the scintillating commentary on the policies promoted by our illustrious political contenders in the race for No. 10 Downing Street.  If you believe that, you'll believe anything!  It's unsurprising, I think, that there is such apparent apathy and cynicism (or is it just me?) among the British people about our politicians in terms of both their behaviour in recent times - not good - and the stuff that generally comes out of their mouths. 

Now don't get me wrong, I have always voted in both national and local elections because I am proud of our democracy and believe everyone should vote.  My daughters will tell you how I always nag them to get out and vote, that they are lucky to have the right to do so and that Suffragettes fought, and some died, in the early 20th century so that women would have that right.  There is a lot of apathy though, especially amongst younger people in this country, probably largely because they have not known war or real poverty or, indeed, what it means to be disenfranchised.  I really hope that none of us has to experience any of those things again in order to be shaken out of this apathy.

There has been a lot of talk about the real possibility of a 'hung' parliament which essentially means that the major competing political parties will have to share power - instead of winner takes all!  Personally, I think that's a great idea, imagine...... the three main bods, or should I call them The Three Stooges!, Brown, Cameron and Clegg, all having to sit round a table and agree on policies instead of wasting their energy arguing with each other!  And.......would they all then have to move into No.10 together?   Oooh, very cosy!!

Ah well, I'm off to see if I can find a TV channel that doesn't have a politician or news commentator spouting off about the economy, education or the NHS to me.  Now there's a challenge!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to see the US political parties share equal authority. I think a lot more would get accomplished. And a two year old PC is not outdated! Don't let them tell you that! I hope its fixed soon so you can post your work!

Unknown said...

Very well said Janet. I was born in the UK " wonder why I emigrated to Au" LOL

Hope your PC is fixable and hurry back.. will miss you. Hope it's nothing major.

Felicity Grace said...

I don't think it's just you Janet, it's just such a hopeless selection no-one knows how to vote! I'm so glad I don't have to choose. Some news/film team should show all the promises of the last 30/40 years and then show the reality and really highlight what is going on. The UK is in such a state - the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, as the saying goes! ;)

Sue Clinker said...

Can sympathise with all of that Janet. Hubby bought me a new computer at Easter to replace my 5 years old 'antique'. It took a week to get some semblence of order. The new programmes aren't compatible with the old ones, internet won't work, computer won't talk to the printer, anti-virus protection doesn't like the new set-up etc......

and as for the politics .... having spent many years ex-pat in Singapore, Japan and in Europe I used to be grateful for the opportunity to experience other lifestyles/cultures/climates but 'there is no place like home' ... now I'm not so sure. We have a holiday home in the Canaries and its becoming increasingly tempting to abandon the UK and the stupidity which prevails here for a much more basic, honest lifestyle. I never thought I'd say that but 13 years of New Labour giving rights to everyone but the decent, hardworking,upstanding citizens is fast driving us away from our homeland :o)

Anyway, apart from that, its been a beautiful sunny day today and I think I'm just about ready to relax with a glass of wine infront of the TV - even risking yet another party political broadcast :o)

Carolina said...

Hi Janet,
Sorry to hear about the PC problem, hope it is fixable... I've been having trouble with the modem and Internet connection lately. I'm even supposed not to have connection, but I have! Whatever...
About the politics part, mmm, I just can say that it doesn't really smell nice anywhere in the world, ha?
Good luck on that... (we'll need some a little later)

Warm regards,
Carolina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails